Dorseyville School was constructed in the 1890’s by Reverend Basile Dorsey, a black preacher and landowner in the village named for him. The original building was used to educate African-American children from the village and nearby plantations until 1952, when the parish school board had a modern school constructed. Ms. Afreta Gant taught all grades, first through seventh at the school. A highly organized person, she always began the day in prayer and was influential in teaching the students that passed through her schoolhouse the importance of getting things done. Through the efforts of Harriet Tillman, a former student of Ms. Gant’s, the neighboring church was added to the National Register of Historic Places and a restoration committee was formed. Today, the restored building is used to promote the Dorseyville community as a strong neighborhood. It is also a site for providing education and training to disadvantaged residents.