In 1928 railway cane cars carried sugarcane to the mill for processing, and the mill had 145 cars. In 1948 the mill was purchased by the Kessler family, which still operates the mill today. Through the years, the mill has grown from a small operation that ground about 1,000 tons of cane a day to handling 15,000 tons daily during grinding season. The railroad operation was discontinued in 1948, replaced by tractor-trailer operation on the new LA Highway 1. During grinding season (October through January), the mill operates 24 hours a day and currently grinds approximately 1.3 million tons of sugarcane into 300 million pounds of sugar annually.